I’ve already blogged about my findings from my research for my argument draft, so this is going to be pretty much a repeat, but…..
I used a link in to show people what % they are in the 99% that does not “control” the US wealth. The remaining 1% is accused of being partly responsible for the corporate greed, economic inequality, and power of the government. This 1% would actually have to make an annual household income above $506,000. Millionaires worldwide control 39% of global wealth, which has increased from 35.6% in 2011. This increase proves that the worries of the Occupiers is valid. The wealthy are perpetually becoming more wealthy and the poor are becoming poorer. The richest people in the world have also increased their wealth by 29% last year, while 9.1% of the US population remain unemployed.
In all of this Occupy Wall Street controversy, I don’t think I have ever clearly expressed my opinion. While the protests are all for a good cause, they do not have enough organization and clear demands. I believe that they should narrow down the broad scope of demands and focus on a few core problems that need to be addressed most.
I also think that they should focus on problems with the government as well as those with the corporations and wealthy. Although most companies have a set of guidelines that can be compared to company morals, they also have a goal of increasing profits. The fact is that companies will many times put this ahead of their guidelines in order to make their shareholders happy. Therefore, it should be the government’s responsibility to mandate the guidelines within the industry that all companies must follow. In the fall of the banks in 2008, some of them were not actually participating in illegal matters. Instead the actions were legal, but just looked poorly upon. If they are looked poorly upon, why aren’t they illegal?
I understand that the government takes a long time to pass a law and that by the time that the regulation is established, companies will most likely find a way around it or another “immoral” way to increase profits. This, then is a problem with the way our government and economy is structured.
On a different note, many protesters have stated that a solution to economic inequality is to increase taxes on the wealthy and corporations. I, however, don’t think that this is necessarily fair. Many wealthy have worked hard to get to the point that they are at and should not be penalized for getting to that place.
Instead, I believe the country should focus more on education. Not only is education the base for our entire society, it also has a direct link to how successful people are. People who graduate high school typically make more money than those that did not, people that graduate college typically make more money than those that did not, and so on. Our focus should there be on first developing K-12 public schools and push for higher national graduation rights. This will not only include an improvement of the schools, but also of the values of the communities where drop-outs typically occur.
Next we will have to develop a better method to have more people who graduated high school attend college. Lets be serious, the cost of going to Bucknell is absolutely outrageous. Seeing as the cost of attending Bucknell is about 54,000, the majority of the 99% will not be able to afford this. College tuition has increased absurdly since “my dad went to school for just a few hundred dollars!” With the price of college so high, how are people supposed to attend college? This is where I agree that the wealthy are being provided more opportunities because they are able to attend the best universities, have tutors for SATs, etc. We should work to provide a more equal system and I believe that the economic inequality will improve…