“All [we] need is love” won by virtue of having the most nominations. Well Done, Eli.
She will receive a $25 credit to Kiva.org, the microlending site we read about. Hopefully, when she selects who to give it to, she will have her loan count towards the lending team “Bucknell Folk” which your class has inspired me to launch.
I’ll invite all of you all to Kiva and the Bucknell Folk. Consider it a belated way to give thanks and a cool way to do 60 seconds of work to help your fellow travelers here on starship Earth.
Other awards the Blog Council (Kelly C, Mackenzie, Evan, Katie, JC) decided on. The most important criteria were effectiveness, creativity, clarity and conciseness of pitch, and after that we just started showing the love (and a little good-natured ribbing) to the rest.
Coda: Some of you, well one maybe, asked me about my other ideas I did not present. here they are:
- Create an always-open table for single diners in cafeterias, restaurants so people talk to each other more over lunch (start here).
- Add the cost of our military budget spent on protecting oil supplies to the price of gas and petroleum projects
- Pay regulators the same amount as the lawyers in regulated industries so at least it is a fair fight.
- Have a “clean-up” fund for abandoned big box retailers so those spaces can be repurposed for business or community or the combination- libraries, skate parks, second-hand markets, business incubators, senior centers, local history chapters and so on.
- Understand that the problem with drinking and teen-agers is a transportation problem more than a consumption one.
- Allow entering freshman to delay for 1-3 years entrance to college, but locking in their tuition at those rates, to encourage them to get other life experiences before entering college.
- Build user-owned social network sites.
- Create a global minimum wage adjusting for local cost of living differences and tied to inflation so that countries no longer have an incentive to race to the bottom for cheaper labor.
Stay in touch. Share the ideas. Do well and do good.